Zagreb sights – Kamenita vrata (The Stone Gates) are one of the major Zagreb sights situated in Upper Town, part of the old city walls that once stood around the old town Gradec and the ideal place to start a sightseeing of the old Zagreb. Although Kamenita vrata were first mentioned in 1429, it is assumed to have been built in 13th century.
During the long history of the city they have undergone many reconstructions and were devastated more than once. On 31st of May 1731 a fire destroyed much of Gradec, burning all the houses to the ground. At that time the Gates displayed a painting of the Mother of God, which was miraculously undamaged by that fire. To commemorate the event, grateful citizens built a chapel within the arch of the old Stone Gate. The chapel, which still houses the painting of the Mother of God, has since become Zagreb’s biggest shrine and is regularly visited by people who come to light a candle and thank the Lady for protecting them.
On 31st of May 1991, on the 260th anniversary of the shrine, the archbishop of Zagreb, Franjo Kuharić, declared the Mother of God of the Stone Gates for the patron saint of Zagreb, and that date is now officially celebrated as the Day of the City.