History of Zagreb – Part 1
1. HOW DID THE TOWN OF ZAGREB GET ITS NAME?
The City of Zagreb has not always been called the City of Zagreb. History of Zagreb says that the city first was carrying the name of Gradec from which, together with Kaptol, the present-day Zagreb was created.Name that it now adorns received, according to the famous legend, when the old ancient ban, tired and thirsty, ordered the girl Manda to bring water from the spring. “Manda, dear zagrabi.” Also according to this legend, water source which were supplying citizens of Zagreb was named Manduševac.
2. WHEN WAS MANDUŠEVAC “FOUND”?
Ban Jelačić Square in 1898., has been reconstructed and paved, and Manduševac buried. Manduševac is again found in 1986 during reconstruction of the then Republic Square (today’s Ban Jelacic Square).It was not in the original plan of the market, but at the request of the public, Manduševac was set again there and decorates the central square in Zagreb.
3. WHY STATUE OF BAN JOSIP JELAČIĆ DEKORATE MAIN SUARE?
Ban J.Jelačić in Croatia is celebrated as a national hero, and in his name rises monument 12/16/1866. on the main Zagreb square Ban Jelacic. The statue was then turned towards Hungary, ie. the North. Then followed the demolition of the monument on July 25, 1947., again he returned after 43 years and since then has turned towards the south.
4. BAKAČ TOWER
Once fortification facility in Zagreb, built by the manager of the Zagreb diocese, Tom Bakač, to defend on behalf of the Zagreb Cathedral. Bakačeva tower was demolished in 1906. The stone from which it was built, is built in embankment on the left bank of the Sava.
5. FIRST CAR SALOON
The first saloon car in history of Zagreb was on the corner of Ilica and Gundulićeve streets. The owner was Ferdinand Budicki, who in 1901. led the first automobile, and in 1906. founded the Automobile Club.